Self sufficiency...

...I've always been one to love the country. I was born in the Kimberley region, the far north of western Australia, as far from the city as could possibly be. And really thats the way I like it, when I first got married I was so happy that I'd married a country boy, I would live on a farm, have a couple of pigs and goat, 4 sheep a cow for milk and some little bantam hens, the cute little brown ones! I'd also have some ducks and a pond, and I'd have a homestay with three little cottages on our land where people would pay to come and live!! I'd grow olives and make my own butter, go out and milk my cow and gather eggs and make homemade pancakes for breakfast to serve to the kids and my homestay guests.

Well, unfortunately, my country boy wanted to be a city boy, so here we are, in the middle of one of, I think the biggest Australian cities! not a real cow in sight. Anyway, seeing as paying rent is definitely not going to help the savings! I've decided that just because we live here doesn't mean my dream of being self sufficient can't come true. After all, we have to make our own heaven here don't we. I am looking for a house that has a largish piece of land to start a garden on it, when we buy, I want to also keep a couple of hens, although Im not sure what the rules are for that sort of thing.

My sister has started planting in boxes and just a little along the fence, and she reckons shes doing real well. Have yet to see any proof (photo posted to my email would not go astray!! you can email cellphone pictures you know!), so once we get settled I will start with a lettuce box, some herbs, a tomato plant hopefully those yummy looking beefsteak ones, mabey some lebanese cucumbers, which m'honey loves, brocolli, carrots if the soil is good, potatoes if theres room and some onions, garlic or shallots. Just start small andd work our way up from there. Oh and of course a lemon tree!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

House total:

$163.00

Today:


Towels $2.95 x 5
Face cloths x 10 $4.99pkt
Table cloths $10.00 for 2
Knife set $22.40

Also bought a sewing machine yesterday from Ebay for $36, totally necessary if one is to be self-sufficient!

So rounding everythin to nearest dollar, total equals - $251.75

Comments

Popular Posts