Designer home in a rented house...

...The dilema, renting a house, but wanting to make it a home that you and your familly love to live in, on a very, very tight,budget!!?. Well if you saw some of the rentals I've been looking at, you'd really be pushed to even get your dog to live in it!! I thought I'd write down what we are doing to help achieve a house that is a joy to live in, not just a place to rest your head! Main influence is the Flylady who says not to have anything in your home you don't love. And of course those Home magazines which are a minefield of good ideas.


#1 Dont be tempted to go out , buy new, and put everything on credit! I am fully prepared to go second hand, and mabey take a little bit longer to get what I want. Even though we are just weeks away from moving, I will not make that an excuse to blow our budget, just to get everything I think I want. Make a list in order of importance.

Ours for example goes something like this:

Fridge
Washing machine
Table and Chairs and Beds (if you don't already have some)
Sheets, etc for the beds
Towels etc for the bathroom
Small pot set,( already have frypans and wok)
Cutlery (already have)
Dinner set
Knife set
Kettle, Toaster, Iron
Lounge suite
Slow cooker (might move this up to no. 3!!)

Everyone has different needs, and everyone has a different budget, figure out yours, decide what is the maximum you are willing to pay ( especially important if using online auction sites like Ebay.)

#2 Try not to accept every offer of free furniture etc. from well meaning friends/family/work mates/ of the side of the road! (Be a bit choosy, if you're able, without being rude lol!) I'm not sure there are many people who need three lounge suites in one house, especially if they don't complement or match each other!

Instead try and work out your tastes or style, hard sometimes, I know, but if you go through your magazines, or use the flyers or catalogues from home stores, watch the DIY programes on TV etc. Internet sites, or even visit a few showrooms, you begin to know what you do and what you definitely don't like. Try and collect pictures of furniture, rooms, you like in a scrapbook so you can refer to it constantly, and are not tempted to get something, just because its free or a 'good' deal.

I'm definitely a rustic/country type girl, (except in the kitchen, which if left up to me would be totally stainless steel, possibly marble or wooden worktops)so luckily its a style that can get away with a bit of the battered look, M'honey however is more contemporary so I have to be careful not to go too rustic or I may end up having to resell my treasures! (he loves my table, so I get to keep it!)

A few online sites I'm perusing at the moment for ideas are:
http://www.decoratorscatalogue.com.au/ (a showcase of different designs/styles etc.)
http://www.diynetwork.com/
And of course
http://www.ikea.com/

That's all for now. Need some sleep!!

Comments

Popular Posts