After the end...

...Several things I want to touch on today.


Seeing as I let my subscription become overdue for the hosting for my Wordpress blog, I've been waiting for the payments to clear, so, I started thinking about other forms of the same idea.  What I mean is, while my blog and initial 'business' is handmade bags, I am trying, and I stress trying, to think about how my purchases, what I sell, how I live, affects the world, whether I try to purchase fair trade, find out how and where my materials are manufactured, whether Im doing all I can to minimise my carbon footprint on this earth.

My latest foray, as I call it into this area, is recycling old clothing, either into clothes or bags, not a new idea, obviously, and even charities are doing it these days, how ironic!!  See story here!  I started today, actually, have been thinking about it for awhile, I pulled out a bag of our old clothes, pulled out the clothes with some interesting, usable material and got to work, nothing to show yet, but some ideas are forming!  Want to go to some 2nd hand shops and see what treasures I can find there.

Speaking of 2nd hand shops, I went to the 2nd hand shop, on the recomendation of Merah's dance teacher, I went shopping for the kids and came out with 8 pieces of clothing for only $23 dollars!  Yesterday, after my son had a small accident, I went to the mall and got him a pair of shorts, a tshirt and a pair of jandals (flip flops)  for about $34 and that was a shop at a lower end of the market!   The 2nd hand clothing was good quality, some like new, the kids didn't even notice till I said they were second hand, I even picked up a really nice Esprit denim shorts for $2.60!!  And tomorrow they're having a sale, everything is half price lol!  It is a church charity shop, and believe me with the economy in unheaval, shops like these are definitely need.  I am going to take a load of clothing in to their bins, that the kids and us have outgrown, which just helps the cause I think.

2
Thinking about the economy, I've been wondering how I can bring the plight of people less fortunate than us, to my kiddles.  I don't want to stuff it in their face and tell them they should be grateful for the things they have etc.  in some sort of lessons or something, just to make them aware, by getting out into the community, so they see that not every one has a great family, food to eat whenever they want, or a pool, or even a roof over their head and a meal each night.  Haven't done alot of research into what is here in Sydney, I know they have all the charity shops liike St Vicents, the Salvation Army, and individual church charity shops, but I want to see what other things people are doing, what's happening at Christmas etc. and things we can carry on doing through the year. 

Will up date when We find something we can participate in.  Actually if your reading this and your organising your workplace Christmas party, St Vincent de Paul is having a secret santa, appeal which may be a nice alternative to the usual secret santa you might have.  Instead of wasting money on a novelty mug or similar,  everyone donates an amount to The Vinnies Secret Santa Appeal!

3
Twitter!  don't know what Im talking about!!?  Twitter is a, well I don't really know how to explain it, its a social messaging utility, sort of like texting to cyberspace!!  IMO.  You can follow people you find interesting, and people can follow you.  You can post links to interesting sites, keep in contact with friends, find out breaking news as it happens, really if you follow the right people, you could be right on the pulse of everything thats important to you as it happens, pretty cool ey!!?  Have a look here and join up you can twitter from Flock, your facebook page, even your iPhone or cellphone if compatable!! If you feel like following me, my Twitter URL is http://twitter.com/THEWhanau

~~~~Night world~~~~

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Comments

Popular Posts